In less than three weeks, the kids and I head back to school. Learning for them and work for me.
As a kid, I * loved * preparing for the return back to school and I remember this time being both exciting and fun. As a teacher and a parent, I have a tendency to get a little bit over-the-top excited when it comes back to school time.
So when Deirdre from JDaniel4s Mom’s announced she was hosting a Back to School Traditions meme, I just couldn’t resist to join in.
Here’s out list:
1. Once the school supplies list arrive in the mail, us girls head out to the local store to purchase the items we need. My teenager pretty much finds all the supplies she needs on her own. This year, Little B will begin Kindergarten so her and I will work together at finding all of the items on her school supply list.
2. We label our school supplies.
3. Each child gets to pick out a new backpack and lunch box.
4. We go shopping for necessities like new socks and undergarments.
5. We make sure to purchase new winter shoes and boots if needed as well as any necessary outwear like rain jackets, gloves and winter snow boots.
6. We go shopping for new clothes. Once again, we focus solely on the necessary items and try to avoid impulse buying. It’s easy to do with the youngins but more of a challenge with the teenager. She just wants to buy everything in the store!
7. We all head out to the salon for hair cuts.
8. We pick out our *first day outfit* the night before.
9. After our first day back to school, we have a special dinner. The kids always get to vote on their favourite meal. We sit around at dinner and one by one, each of us gets to share the story of our first day. The kids love it … even the teenager!
10. We end the evening with ice-cream!