With only a week left to go before the kids return to school here where I live, the crunch to get in all that we aspired to do this summer is in full force.
I’m linking up with Rach from Life With Baby Donut for her weekly Life Lessons meme today because I like looking back on the week and thinking about everything we did as a family.
What did we learn?
1. This summer, hubby and I wanted the girls to get a real taste of their natural environment. We took them camping so they could see what living out in the wilderness entailed. Camping was welcomed with open arms. They absolutely loved the experience.
2. We have spent a lot of time down at Grandma and Grandpa’s summer place at Beachwood Park. The girls have enjoyed activities like swimming, riding bikes, going on mini hikes, roasting marshmallows, hanging out at the beach and playing with friends.
3. While outdoors, we have taken the girls on mini hikes or walks and opened their eyes to the natural vegetation around them. The girls have enjoyed going on many nature walks where they have collected different plants, rocks, flowers and twigs from the areas we have explored.
4. The girls have learned how to identify ferns, weeds, dandelion plants, buttercup flowers, trees, bushes and pine cones, to name a few.
5. They have enjoyed playing with their cousins outside and making cool, yummy soups made from water, dirt, plants, flowers and any other things they could find in our backyard.
6. Big sister B taught the girls how to make perfume out of water and various flower petals from the yard.
7. Little B and Little H both experienced bee stings this summer, one right after the other. It wasn’t fun and they now truly hate bees with a passion and want nothing to do with them. I can’t say that I blame them.
8. The girls have truly grown to love the water this summer. They have spent a lot of time swimming and playing at the beach. When not wanting to build a sand castle, they have grown to love throwing rocks out into the waves.
9. We have spent many hours sitting around a campfire this summer and roasting marshmallows. I have eaten enough S’mores to feed a third world country. Daddy loves playing guitar around the fire and has taught the girls a few campfire songs.
10. Looking back on the summer, I am pleased with how much time we spent in the outdoors and in the company of good ol’ Mother Nature.
And for that, I am grateful.