Yay, it’s Monday!
I wouldn’t normally say this if I were working but it’s summer vacay and I’m home.
I’m extra especially excited today because, for the first time, I’m linking up with Stasha from North West Mommy. Every Monday, she hosts a link-up where you share a list of things according to a theme she picks.
This week, the theme is 10 Things You Miss.
I miss a lot of things these days but I will keep my list to ten. I have a tendency to get a little carried away with lists sometimes. Just ask the hubby!
SO here goes …
1. I miss being able to sleep deeply throughout the night without interruption from either the children having nightmares, being sick or me having to get up a million times to pee. Then there are the nights I lay there sleepless, mind wandering a million miles a minute.
2. I miss being able to shower whenever I want. Life is busy at our house and because it takes me 30 minutes to shower (wash body, hair and shave, hello) and another 30 minutes to brush teeth, moisturize face and blow dry hair, I usually do the shower routine at night before bed. What? Beauty like mine takes effort ya know!
3. I miss being able to spend time on myself to do things like keep my fingernails manicured, my feet soft and toes painted and my hair styled. The pony-tail seems to be the quickest, most fashionable look I sport these days.
4. I miss being able to eat anything I want and not have to worry about weight gain or health issues like high cholesterol. My french fry, burger eating, dessert gorging days are over. This Mama has made the transition to a healthier, more active lifestyle. (Okay, I’m still working on the more active part…sheesh, give a girl a break!)
5. I miss the quality time hubby and I use to have before children came along. You know, the time we had where we could lounge around watching movies all day, talk about everything and go out whenever we wanted to like on hiking and road trips. Nowadays, we barely manage to get a word in edgewise to each other while the kids are around. Sometimes we revert to emailing to keep the other informed. Either that or we save talking until bedtime … that is, until one of us falls asleep from pure and utter exhaustion. Can you guess who that person might be?
6. I miss being able to fly by the seat of my pants. Everything around here needs to be planned to ensure we don’t forget to bring anything with us. It takes FOREVER to leave the house, even if it’s just getting the girls to daycare in the morning.
7. I miss the days of old when kids were so easily entertained by simply being outside. Whatever happened to the days of hanging out, riding bikes, swimming and just exploring the neighbourhood? Nowadays, it seems all kids want to do is stay inside, play game boxes like the Wii, chat on MSN or Facebook and search stuff on U tube. It’s sad.
8. I miss my hubby when he’s at work, my kids when they’re at daycare or school and my teen when she’s off to her biological dad’s house for the weekend. Funny how that works! When they’re all around me it’s easy to complain about being busy and not having time to myself but when they’re all gone and I’m alone, things just feel weird and not right. I spend the day looking forward to when they get home.
9. I miss the times from my childhood and youth when my big, extended Italian family would get together for picnics, weddings and seasonal events like Christmas. We use to have so much fun together and I miss seeing my cousins. The family has grown so much over the years that getting everyone together takes a year in planning ahead. I’m looking forward to a reunion picnic that seems to be in the making for this coming September. Hope it works out and everyone can attend.
10. I miss hanging out with my girlfriends. We get together every now and then but with everyone being busy with their own families, it doesn’t happen as often as I would like. I take time with them as I get it and I try not to complain. There’s something to be said about getting in as much *girl bonding* time as you can. Us women need and love to bond and we do it well, especially if there’s wine.
And that, my friends, is my list of 10 things I miss. If you have a list of things you miss and you want to join in on the fun, hop on over to Stasha’s place and link-up for Monday Listicles. It’s so much fun!