Why is it so hard to find and stick to an exercise regime?
Over the last year, I have done nothing but #fail in the keeping psychically fit department. I have started an exercise regime at least 3 different times over the last year, maybe even four! Every single attempt to get fit or get healthy on my part has landed me falling flat on my face. Each time, my attempts at maintaining physical fitness dwindled by the end of only a few weeks.
What’s wrong with me?
Back track to a couple of months ago. I meet Janice from Mommy’s Lounge via a blog hop I participate in. I read about how this Mom to 3, homemaker and wife, home schools her children & manages to work-out too. Surprised at how a busy Mom of 3, just like me, can manage to do this, I befriend Janice in an attempt to learn her secret. Janice, the sweet gal that she is, accepts my friendship and after hearing my sad, pathetic story about exercise #fail, she happily offers to be my work out buddy.
My on-line workout buddy. Read on!
Why Workout Buddies Work
Sometimes it seems the only way to get kids to do something is to have them do it with their buddies. Solo doesn’t get the job done, but make it a group thing and… bam! Something changes. They start chanting “clean up, clean up” and the world is a little less messy. The buddy system definitely works for kids. But I’ve found the same is true for parents too, especially when it comes to working out. Parents need buddies too and there are many reasons why.
- You got to show up: this applies whether you’re meeting at the gym, a house or on a virtual platform like Twitter, Facebook or via text. Don’t show up a couple of times and your friendship can get a little shaky. By yourself, it’s just easier to make excuses. When it’s with your buddy you got to rationalize things for yourself AND your friend.
- Sharing is caring: Your goal to lose 5 inches can be a top secret file locked in a nuclear-proof safe. But with a workout buddy it can be something you share with someone else for extra motivation. It strengthens your relationship AND it can be exciting to track each other’s progress.
- Support: Working out with someone is a chance for your buddies to know about your progress and give you the encouragement you need to get off your butt. When it’s your turn, you get to crack the whip on your buddy too.
- Problem solving: Workout buddies can help you find solutions whether it’s a nutrition issue, a plateau you hit or the proper form for an exercise. You can always use a little help from your friends.
- Better Results: workout buddies help you to stay in the game and reach your goals for the reasons I already mentioned. But having a workout buddy can also give you a psychological edge. Something about working out with someone pushes you to go farther. You get results and you get them faster. Plus, it’s more fun.
If you’re a busy parent like me, you have trouble finding time to run across town to meet at a park or gym on a regular basis. That’s why virtual workout buddies can meet and workout with you in real time via Facebook, Twitter, Skype or the like. You don’t even have to gas up and leave the house and kids. Aside from social networking sites, I also use the Team Beachbody WOWY Gym (Work Out With You). It’s free, online, real time, tracks your goals, and gives you a chance to win prizes just for logging in. AND, you can add as many buddies as you want.
Currently, I’m on WOWY doing Beachbody’s Slim In 6 and will probably move on to Turbo Fire next. The cool thing about Beachbody’s programs (including P90X, Insanity, and Brazil Butt Lift) is that they’re all linked to WOWY, giving you a way to link up with many workout buddies, and allowing you to workout whenever and wherever since you can workout at home. Those are definite plusses for a mom like me.
So if you’re interested, I’ll “Work Out With You” (my username: “FitAfter9”) and we can both “Commit To Get Fit.” And if you need some ideas about Beachbody workout programs, check out my fitness site or email me. They’re the best home fitness programs anywhere and are backed by unconditional guarantees as well as a Better Business Bureau A+ rating. See you at the gym!
By the way, I chronicle my fitness journey in my blog. You can see my workout calendar for my current program and read my daily workout journals. It’s just another way for me to stay motivated and accountable for my health. Come and join me on WOWY, or just send me a Tweet that you’re working out. I’m always here to cheer on my workout buddies!