Teenage me said I’d do or never do the following things when I became a mother.
- I would be a good listener.
- I would not lecture.
- I would continue to offer up and give hugs as long as they were wanted.
- I would not ground my kids and if I did the consequence would match the crime.
- I would not be as strict as my parents.
- I would provide my kids opportunities to try new things.
- I would be open and honest about the facts of life.
- I would never get mad or embarrass my kids in front of their friends.
- I would praise my kids for their successes and encourage them when they struggle.
- I would not nag.
Curious to know how I’m doing with the above list? Let’s see what Teen B thinks of my mothering skills.
- You do listen but half the time Little B and Little H interrupt so it takes me forever to tell you something!
- You don’t lecture that much but you still do it too much for my liking 😛
- You still offer hugs and kisses. Thank you
- You don’t ground me very often but when you do it’s for good reason.
- You’re nowhere near as strict as Grandma and Grandpa according to all the stories you’ve told me.
- You’ve let me do so much already and you’re still open to letting me try new things.
- You love to tell me about the facts of life, whether I want to hear them or not.
- You failed this one even though you think not 😛
- Yes, you always praise me for my successes and encourage me when I struggle.
- … I think we all know the answer to this one. Right Dad?
Well, it appears my daughter feels I need improvement with #’s 8 and 10.
Who would have thought that a little innocent joking around with your daughter’s girlfriends would cause embarrassment?
As for the nagging, I think we need to take this up with the rest of the family. A vote maybe?
< insert evil glare here >
Who else thinks I nag?