We’ve been going through some major changes at our house.
Between Daddy eating Gluten-Free and me removing sugars and wheat from my diet, we knew we had to do something about the amount of junk our girls eat.
They love chocolate chip muffins from Save On Foods, our local grocer.
If you read the ingredients, there are a lot of fillers among the usual ingredients and that’s a big no no in our family now.
We’ve become more health conscious in the last year.
So I scavenged through the inter-webs in search for some help with making baked goods healthier.
I found this absolutely delicious recipe for Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and decided to test it out on my girls. They are the pickiest eaters on the planet!
Healthier Whole Grain Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 average-sized bananas, peeled and mashed
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the bananas, sugar, yogurt, egg, and applesauce.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over-mix.5. Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Bake for 16-18 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
6. Remove the muffins from the tin and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
I am happy to report that success was achieved! The girls liked the muffins and have asked me when I’m making more. Mom Success!
Do you have a recipe for a meal or food your family loves?
Why not share it with us here for our monthly #WhyFakeItJustMakeIt recipe link-up? Just grab the link-up button from the sidebar, add it to your post and link up. Then hop around and visit the other recipe links. It’s a great way to collect meal ideas for your family! You can follow our Pinterest board here. All recipe links get added to our board on a monthly.